Feburary

February has been a very interesting month in the city of New Orleans. Mardi Gras was a great deal of fun, however I was very concerned about the vast amounts of plastic and litter that lined the streets following the parade. As an avid runner, the cleanliness of the streets is an important factor for me not only for aesthetic sense, but I am very scared of sliding on some forgotten beads and breaking some bones. I was also concerned by the vast amount of plastic needed to produce beads for the parades. If an eco- friendly material can be used instead, I think Mardi Gras will become a holiday of the future.

On a separate note, the masters of pharmacology program has continued to be great. I enjoyed augmenting my knowledge of neuropharmacology after spending 4 years on it during undergraduate studies at Rutgers University. I enjoyed making new connections to the material taught to us and integrating the material I learned previously.

Volunteering has also been a great joy for me this month. I have been working with Louisiana HOSA, training the state officers of the program to become better at public speaking, parliamentary procedure and consulting whenever they need me. I listened in to the officer candidates and created a program to train them before they take office in June. Additionally, the state leadership conference will be held this Sunday- Tuesday in Baton Rouge so I am looking forward to attending the conference and helping out.

On the thesis front, I have really found a new enjoyment in scientific writing. The thesis option in this program encourages me to synthesize new knowledge from scientific publications and draw connections from what I learned in class, overall consolidating my understanding of pharmacology and physiology. Lipedema (the disease my thesis is on) is a hormonal disease, and therefore involves a multitude of different systems in the body- giving me a chance to study each one in depth. I have gained a new appreciation for endocrinology, and plastic surgery. This next month will be very important for me to put together what I have been working on for the past few months and start developing a finished project.

Total Volunteer Hours this semester= 20
Total Miles run in New Orleans= 215

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March

April